Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Greetings,

It has been nearly a year since I've penned a post; shame on me.  Life does tend to get in the way, but for a bit I was spreading myself too thin and did not have the luxury of time to keep up the blog, work on my romance book, which includes lots of research, and do all the things that I must. One chilly, rain-filled morning this fall I decided to give it another go. 

Inspired by Ackermann's Respository, my blog is changing.  With a little imagination and the Adobe Photoshop workhorse, Elements 9, some CSS styles and HTML tweaking, I gave the appearance a personal twist.  There's more to the cover though.  I'll be posting tidbits of history as I research for my book and I'm planning to add links and resources that will help other historical romance writers. I don't know about you, but I would love to have everything in one neat and tidy virtual file cabinet. 

It all began with Regency attire and home decor descriptionsStriving to write as accurate as possible descriptions led me to Ackermann's Repository, an English monthly periodical published between 1809 and 1829.  There's loads of information including fashion, landscape, and interior decorating plates along with a plethora of articles, some of which I'm planning to post about in the future.  

The fashion descriptions are wonderful.  Enjoy the snippets that describes the gowns pictured above:
Plate 18: Promenade Sea-beach Costume
A Grecian frock of fine French cambric or jaconoet  muslin, with corresponding border at feet in shaded purple embroidery: Roman back and front of the same.  Full long sleeves with a turned up cuff of lace; fastened with a bronze stud, set in gold. Read the entire description here

Plate 17: A Mourning Dress
Our plate will be found to represent a lady and her infant in slight mourning habits: the former composed of black gossamer net, or imperial guaze worn over a white satin slip.  A demi-traine. A round frock front, and short French sleeves, each edged with a rich vandyke lace. Curious for more?  You can find this description on the same page as the above link, but here it is again.  
 
So here I am changing it up by sharing the history that I love so much, the beauty that dazzles and the adventure of writing my first romance novel and striving to get it published. My plan is to add Regency Reference Pages, a Glossary, and more. I hope you'll find a comfortable sofa to lounge upon, settle in for a visit and glean bits of history from the eras that I love most: The Regency Period and the Tudor Years of England. 

 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment