Saturday, August 27, 2011

Madeleine de Scudery's Quote

I don’t know a lick of French, except for a mouthful of words like oui, monsieur, mademoiselle, madame, au voir, bon jour, merci and that’s about it.  What I do find intriguing about the French language is how romantic it looks on paper or fabric.  I’m also enchanted when good fortune smiles upon me and I overhear French spoken by native speakers.   All this jabbering brings me to the quote in the heading of my blog.

I don’t believe Madeleine de  Scudéry could have been any more on target when it comes to describing a romance novel in simplest form.   The greatest pleasures of the book come from the love heroine and hero strive to hold fast and the worst problems develop because of that love.  I don’t know about you, but I’ll race through a novel that envelopes a world with a pleasurable concept intertwined with a problematic one if they're wrapped around the larger-than-life emotion…love.  Love compels each of us to be better, to be worse... to be. 
Want to learn more about the fascinating Madeleine de Scudéry and her Saturday salon, samedis, where literati gathered to argue the issues of the day? You’ll find a plethora of information on this site.

Have a wonderful Saturday evening,  

No comments:

Post a Comment